Friday, January 04, 2008

Cheetah Speed

We recently became acquainted with three Sh...'s, but might not ever see them again. During our brief acquaintance, talk of the cheetah came about and I told them that cheetahs are the fastest animals in the world. When they asked me how fast they are, I told them I didn't know and made a mental note to find out before day's end. My mind buried that note. It remained buried for a few days, and by the time it resurfaced, we had said goodbye to the three Sh...'s. It's doubtful that better late than never applies here, but for the record - and on the very slim chance they stumble upon this blogpost - cheetahs can reach speeds between 112 kilometres per hour (70 mph) and 120 kilometres per hour (75 mph). They have the ability to accelerate from 0 to 110 kilometres per hour (68 mph) in three seconds. Also, for accuracy's sake, cheetahs are the fastest land animal. With a quick google search I found out that the Peregrine Falcon has been reported to reach speeds of up to 200 miles per hour during vertical dives. [sources: this wiki page and this Australian Fauna page]

No comments: