Wednesday, September 28, 2005

I've Been Meme'd!

Thanks Jason, I owe you one. No wait, you owe me five.

# of Books I Own:

You will not get an exact number. Or any number. I have a couple of boxes full of books as I'm currently in the process of moving (and have been in this process since June), and the total number rises and falls as I find and buy good and/or cheap books to read, and as I release finished books into the wild.

Last Book I Bought:

Aw jeez.. Ummmm.. Hmmmm.. Oh yeah. I bought two at the same time. The Boomer by no one of consequence, and The Salmon of Doubt by Douglas Adams of hitchhiking the galaxy fame. Haven't yet read the latter, and do not recommend the former.

5 Books That Mean(t) A Lot To Me:

Here's a list that I compiled rather quickly. It may or may not be accurate.

I quite enjoyed Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman. Many many short stories that play with the concept of time. Is it linear? Is it circular? Is it like a merry-go-round where the speed at which time passes varies based on where you are standing? Perhaps it doesn't exist at all, things just happen when they happen. I highly recommend this book. I might even lend it to you if you ask nicely. It will not be wild released, only loaned to those I know.

Polaroids from the Dead was the first book I read by Douglas Coupland. It is perhaps for that reason that it is the one book of his that stands out. A mix of fiction and non-fiction, with some stories based in and around the Vancouver area, I was drawn in by his writing style and insight into various cultural events.

Ball Four was an excellent read. If you are a baseball player or fan then I highly recommend this book, and if you are neither a baseball player nor fan then I recommend this book highly. RHP Jim Bouton recorded his thoughts, and the events of his team behind closed doors, over the course of a season or two. Probably the funniest book I have ever read. I'd like to give a quote from the book, but that wouldn't do the book justice. Better to just read it and all its glory.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: A Trilogy in Four Parts. What a writer Douglas Adams is. This is a long saga that has drama, romance, humor, devastation, and lots and lots of wit. I will keep it and read it again soon. Actually not too soon. It's been six years since I read it and it will be another few years. This one is also available for loans. All the books on this list are available for loans. The movie came out recently and I saw it and thought, 'enh'. Wasn't terrible, but wasn't great. Then I thought, well how could they possibly get all the greatness of the book into a two hour movie. They did the best they could.

Pavel Bure: The Riddle Of The Russian Rocket. I became a hockey fan in the early nineties mostly because of him. This is a look at how he came to play in Vancouver and at the many suspicions that people had of his personal life, which can be summed up in one word: shady. I miss you Pavel and your full-speed end-to-end rushes.

Five People I Now Name As 'Tagged':

I think the people I tag are supposed to have blogs with which to continue the meme tradition. As you can see by looking to the right, I know not many people with blogs. Therefore, I give one name. If he reads this, he must consider himself tagged. The name: Brad (surprise!)

No comments: