Thursday, October 14, 2004

Who Has the Edge?

A baseball commentator made the following statement the other day during a game, and I'm paraphrasing a little, but this is in essence what he said: "Selecting a player to be the Red Sox MVP would be so difficult, you could essentially just flip a coin.. Would it be Ortiz? Damon? or Ramirez?" Okay. Now we all agree that coins the world over all have the same shape, right? There are usually just two common outcomes to flipping a coin.. heads or tails. I suppose the commentator, when stating that there are three players in contention, is thinking of the much less common outcome where the coin is on edge, and therefore neither heads nor tails. I say "much less common outcome" because I have seen many a coin be flipped, and I have yet to see the edge be the outcome. I believe it is uncommon the world over also, since I have never heard anyone respond to the request of "call it.." with "Edge!"

The Red Sox are down two games to zero. But remember, the Yankees suck, and in a best-of-seven series, the suckness factor tends to play a large role. Go Sox.

No comments: