Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Beautiful British Columbia Bye-Bye

The very reason that people move here is vanishing as more people move here. It's beautiful British Columbia. We have mountains, we have ocean, we have rivers, we have densely forested parks, and that's just in the Greater Vancouver Regional District.

Because of the beauty, people want to move here. People want to visit here. The area tries to accomodate these people. The housing goes further up the mountains, losing the trees that made it pretty. When I was quite young, my family lived right next to a half-block of undeveloped area right off West Fourth in Vancouver; behind where Capers is now. I have fond memories of playing in an overgrown field, picking dandelions with a neighbor friend to bring back to my mom. We moved out of there when I was around 5 or so. It wasn't long after that that apartments were built where the field used to be.

There is a hiking trail that I've done a few times in my life, and it is now under attack. West Vancouver's Eagleridge Bluffs is being harmed in the name of highway expansion for the Olympics. Where does this fit in to the government's promise of the greenest Olympics ever? With this, and with the Port Mann fiasco, B.C. Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon is vying for the position of jblue's enemy number one. Currently ahead of Falcon are David Emerson and Father Ponti. Falcon nudges ahead of Todd Bertuzzi.

Anyway, I would like to join the protestors at Eagleridge, but am unable to do so. I applaud their efforts and hope that it is not in vain.

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot

No comments: