Friday, December 03, 2004

Interview of Life

... and hope and everything that is good in the world.

Now that's how an interview should feel. The interview took place last Thursday, and that experience was the exact opposite of the Carnegie experience.. As I told Biscotti right after, I left the interview smiling, rather than wanting to cry. It was a fairly short interview, about fifteen minutes, and things went really smoothly. The position is for an afterschool kids clubhouse, and it's Mon-Thur 2pm-6pm, and Fri 12pm-6pm. Much much better hours than what I'm currently working as Building Supervisor, working two days a week and getting home at about 11pm , Friday being one of those days..

They said that they would be going over the resumés and whatnot and would likely be calling people on Monday. Calling "people" meaning, I assume, that they would call everyone they interviewed, not just the one person they choose as champion.. (Champion being, of course, my word of choice, as you shall soon see why) Monday came and went with no phone call. Tueday came and went with a phone call. A message was left because I didn't answer the phone. And that's what good people do when the phone isn't answered. They leave a message. But this message, considering the context, was annoyingly ambiguous. "Hi it's so-and-so from this-little-place. Could you give us a call back when you have a minute, either before 3 today or tomorrow morning. Thanks." I couldn't call before 3 so I called the next morning. Which gave me plenty of time to consider the tone of their voice, the tell-tale pauses, and the very fact that they didn't say that I was hired if I was still interested. When I called there was no answer, so, being a good person, I left a message. Hi it's so-and-so, give me a call.. Half hour later, they gave me a call. Hi, do you have a minute? For you, I have five! We were quite happy with the interview, and the references were all great (uh oh, are they buttering me up? Is the next word going to be "but"?), so (really, a "so" not a "but"?!?) we're happy to be able to offer you the position. Are you still interested? Yes. Yes I am.


They were very flexible with when I start, so I asked if I could start on the 16th. That just happens to be the day after my final final, as well as the day after the Christmas party at Imagination Arts. No problem.. even though it's a Thursday. Seems like it's gonna be a good place to work!

In January I'm going to take 4 courses, from 9:30-1:30, giving me half an hour to get to work. My legs are getting stronger.

No comments: